Marriage Mentors does not take the place of existing marriage and family ministries of the church.
We simply assist churches in training and equipping married couples to become mentors to another couple. Marriage Mentors operates best when there is support from a minister of the church who can supervise the mentoring ministry. Our desire is not to levy another task or ministry on the shoulders of any staff member, therefore the first step to implementing your marriage mentoring ministry is to identify and appoint a “Ministry Coordinator” couple. Ministry Coordinators are married couples that are members of the church and have a passion for healthy marriages. With staff approval and under their supervision, Ministry Coordinators serve as primary administrators. It is the goal of Marriage Mentors to provide support to the church through them. Their responsibilities include, but are not limited to overseeing:
- Identifying potential marriage mentors - potential mentors are identified by the church staff and the leadership of Sunday School classes, cell groups, home groups, etc...
- Recruiting potential marriage mentors - potential mentors are recruited through personal invitations encouraging them to attend an informational meeting where the complete mentoring process is outlined and detailed.
- Training potential marriage mentors - Once potential mentors are registered to attend training, they are given portions of the training materials immediately in order to become more familiar with the process.
- Certifying marriage mentors - Ministry Coordinators certify mentors using a process provided by Marriage Mentors.
- Establish and oversee Couple Support Groups - Couple Support Group leaders are similar to “Shepherd Group” leaders or “Care Group” leaders. This support structure works great in that mentors are typically able to get answers to questions and advise through Couple Support Coordinators and online support from Marriage Mentors.
- Qualifying mentee couples - Potential mentees are qualified by providing information on questionnaire and short meeting.
- Pairing mentor/mentee couples - Couples are paired seamlessly through the knowledge obtained through mentor certifications and mentee qualification meetings.
- Certified in PREPARE/ENRICH - Through certification, Ministry Coordinators are trained to interpret and order marital assessments for the church. We recommend the staff serving as supervisor also become certified in PREPARE/ENRICH.
It is important to understand Marriage Mentors is not a national clearinghouse for mentee couples. Our mission is to train and equip mentors.
Our purpose is to help build a strong, stable community through strong Christian marriages. We assist churches in identifying marriage mentors in their congregation, train them and continue to partner with the church by providing the best possible resources for marriage enrichment or crisis restoration.